The historic importance of Old Penetanguishene Rd. in the north east section of the County of Simcoe is being celebrated through the installation of storyboards sharing the history of the road and the activities that occurred because of its’ creation. Penetanguishene Road (HWY 93) began at the 9mile portage in Kempenfelt Bay and cut through the dense forest to build and service the War of 1812’s Military Naval Establishment in Penetanguishene.
The road is now known as Hwy 93, but its prominence as one of the main routes of settlement for this area is reflected in locals use of its original title of Old Penetanguishene Rd.
Stop 1: Kempenfelt Village Stop 2: Lawrence Cemetery
Stop 3: Greek Orthodox Church Stop 4: Dalston United Church
Stop 5: Craighurst Stop 6: Hillsdale Community Park
Stop 7: Orr Lake Community Park Stop 8: Cenetaph Waverley
Stop 9: Wyebridge Community Centre
The Penetanguishene Road Village Sign Project gratefully acknowledges support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario and the following groups and individuals:
Women’s Institutes of Crown Hill, Craighurst, Waverley and Wyebridge
Simcoe County Council
Tourism Simcoe County and the Simcoe County Archives