Sign In
Skip Navigation LinksHistorical-Route-93 Heritage 93 Historical Route

Heritage 93 Historical Route

​​​​​


The historic importance of Old Penetanguishene Rd. in the north east section of the County of Simcoe is being celebrated through the installation of storyboards sharing the history of the road and the activities that occurred because of its’ creation.  Penetanguishene  Road (HWY 93) began at the 9mile portage in Kempenfelt Bay and cut through the dense forest to build and service the War of 1812’s Military Naval Establishment in Penetanguishene.

The road is now known as Hwy 93, but its prominence as one of the main routes of settlement for this area is reflected in locals use of its original title of Old Penetanguishene Rd.   


 

 

​​

 

                      Stop 1: Kempenfelt Village                         Stop 2: Lawrence Cemetery                             

Stop 1: Kempenfelt Village                              Stop 2: Lawrence Cemetery       

   

Stop 3: Greek Orthodox Church                  Stop 4: Dalston United Church

Stop 3: Greek Orthodox Church                             Stop 4: Dalston United Church

 

        Stop 5: Craighurst                                       Stop 6: Hillsdale Community Park

Stop 5: Craighurst                              Stop 6: Hillsdale Community Park

 

Stop 7: Orr Lake Community Park              Stop 8: Cenetaph Waverley

Stop 7: Orr Lake Community Park                             Stop 8: Cenetaph Waverley

 

Stop 9: Wyebridge Community Centre

Stop 9: Wyebridge Community Centre 

 

Learn More:

The Penetanguishene Road Village Sign Project gratefully acknowledges support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation, the Federated Women's Institutes of Ontario and the following groups and individuals:
Women’s Institutes of Crown Hill, Craighurst, Waverley and Wyebridge
Simcoe County Council
Tourism Simcoe County and the Simcoe County Archives​


 


 


What's Nearby

Eat
Play
Stay
Map It