Simcoe County's Cultural Network
To get the word out about all that awaits, a group of Simcoe County museums, art galleries and historic sites, known as Sumac, joined together to bring you this booklet of inspiration. It offers a glimpse into the uniqueness of each organization and what they have to offer.
These cultural spaces, filled with exhibits, stories and fun activities will fascinate, perplex, amaze and amuse, and sometimes, move you to tears, all in the same place.
This is where history really does come alive, where art elevates and inspires, and where you learn about the past, present and future.
Using this booklet as your guide, take this opportunity to meet some of the people who have shaped their communities and made invaluable contributions to the world. Their common ground is Simcoe County, but their stories are those of Canada.
More than intriguing artifacts, these organizations connect the past to the present through education programs, online blogs, social media, changing exhibitions and special events. Many offer picturesque setting perfect for day tripping and a picnic.
Click on the guide below to turn the page and start your own adventure.
CULTURAL PLACES PASS
Learn more about local history, culture and art through the Cultural Places Pass program! Passes are organized through Sumac, Simcoe County's cultural network. Your library card entitles you to become a "Friend For The Day" at various Sumac locations. Passes for each institution vary. The program runs from May 18 to October 14, 2019.
- Collingwood Museum (Collingwood): Free membership for the day for individual or group. (Donation admission is waived.) 10% off for purchases on most items in the gift shop.
- Huronia Museum (Midland): Free family admission (two adults and two children) to the museum and village for the day.
- Leacock Museum and National Historic Site (Orillia): Free Family Membership for the Day. Free admission for up to a carload of guests during regular open hours.
- MacLaren Art Centre (Barrie): Free MacLaren Membership (Family Category). Free admission to MacLaren Family Sunday workshops, Sundays 1:30 to 3:00 pm. Register in person at 1:00 at the MacLaren front desk for that day's Family Workshop. 10% discount for any art classes/camps at the Gallery. 10% discount on purchases from the gift shop.
- Museum on the Boyne (Alliston): Free Family Membership for a day. Family of four gets into the museum for free and can sign up for museum programs at the member discount price.
- Nancy Island Historic Site (Wasaga Beach): Pass can be redeemed for a free Nancy Island guide booklet and decal plus 10% off in the gift shop.
- Orillia Museum of Art and History (Orillia): Free Family Membership for the day. (Donation
admission is waived.).
- Simcoe County Museum (Minesing): Free Family Membership for the Day. Free admission for up to a carload of guests during regular open hours including special event days.
- Penetanguishene Centennial Museun and Archives (Penetanguishene): Free Friend for the Day Membership. This includes free family admission to the museum, free use of the Genealogy & History Research Centre, 10% discount on purchases from the Timber Bay Gift Shop, discount on Day Camps and discount on the rental of the Great Hall.
Who May Reserve Passes?
Adults and teens who have valid Library card, or visitors who obtain temporary cards may reserve passes. Passes will only be distributed to the person who made the reservation. You cannot pick up a pass for a friend or family member.
You may book only one pass for use on any one day.
How do I Reserve a Pass?
Passes should be booked in advance. Passes may be booked online or in person up to 60 days in advance. You will need to enter your library card number to reserve a pass using the online form.
How Often May I Reserve a Pass?
You may reserve one pass per cultural institution during a 30-day period.
Where do I Pick Up My Pass?
Passes must be picked up at the Library. Staff will provide you with the pass you have reserved and stamp it to validate it.
If you have any questions regarding the Cultural Passes program, please contact the library to which you are a member.
Is there a program for 2020?
Not yet. Stay tuned as we iron out a program for this year.